Here’s to travel in times of lockdowns and self-isolation
Travel isn’t just about planes, packing, and plans. It’s about experiences: discovering the unknown, exploring a new adventure, appreciating the beauty of a moment with loved ones, new or old friends, or with ourselves.
So, while the world remains pretty much grounded for the next little while — our travel experiences don’t have to be. Thank you, internet!
14 Top Destinations Around the World:
Did you know there’s a whole section of the internet dedicated to providing high-quality 360 views of cities all over the world? Here are just a few of many we found to be particularly jaw-dropping:
- Grab a towel, put on that bikini and make like you’re heading to one of Budapest’s famous thermal spas. Glide over the Szechenyi Chain Bridge and explore the historical Buda Castle at the tippy top of the city.
- Walk along the boardwalk on the shore, watch your footprints appear in the sand and even get in the water to explore what’s underneath in the Maldives.
- Brighten things up with some sun and street art on a stroll down the promenade among the crowds in Lisbon.
- Rendez-vous à Paris? Don’t mind if we do. Enjoy a baguette, cheese, and some red wine while you take in the sights of the Eiffel Tower, the Champs Elysees, those glass pyramids ouside of the Louvre and more.
- Visit the grounds of the once vibrant city of Pompeii, Italy that was buried under ash in 79 AD when Mount Vesuvius erupted.
- Sit down and watch the world go by with this timelapse of Sydney, Australia’s stunning cityscape. Who knows, you might even see a koala.
- Lap up the canals, bikes, Dam Square, the Red Light District, and all things Dutch on a free guided tour of Amsterdam.
- Roam around Rome with the help of a tour guide; visit Castel St. Angelo, check out Piazza della Rotonda and make a wish at the Trevi Fountain.
- Soak up the sun, amble through Park Güell or the hidden side streets of Barcelona, filled with tapas bars and Spaniards playing flamenco guitar.
- London’s calling! Feel the energy of the crowds as you bounce from Big Ben to Westminster to the most famous zebra crossing in the world.
- Waves ASMR? Don’t mind if we do! Chill out at this super secluded beach in Malibu.
- Go island hopping in Thailand; sit in the sand, cool off at the mountain peak with a drink and watch the sun go down with your virtual tour guide.
- Give the Mamma Mia DVD a rest — go to Paros, Greece instead.
- Feel like a God or Goddess under the sun in Athens as you discover ancient civilisation at the Parthenon and the Acropolis.
Experiences with No Limits
Now that you’ve explored the world, you’re probably thinking it’s just about time for a change of pace. Get that adrenaline surging with all the things you probably don’t have the guts to do IRL.
The only limit to traveling online is your imagination. Want to dive with the sharks (but not worry about getting attacked)? There’s probably a 32 minute video for that.
Have a poke around some of our favourite cyber jaunts:
- Go horseback riding in Bermuda and hear the clip clop sounds of hooves on the ground.
- Hike the Grand Canyon (check out this alternate link for a different view).
- Lose yourself in the ocean: swim with dolphins.
- Hop on a Disneyland roller coaster (or, go on a coaster marathon).
- Go skiing in the French alps. Pro tip: turn up the A/C in your apartment and put on your winter woolies for a more authentic experience.
- Since you’re shipwrecked on a rickety old boat, there’s never been a better time to go whale spotting.
- If all that gets boring, there’s always The Louvre, who have opened up their virtual doors. While there are only some displays available, there’s still plenty to see. Grab your beret, Mona is waiting.
- Who said you’re limited to our little planet? Join the elite and go to Mars.
- Or, take a guided tour to the fifth-largest satellite in the Solar System, the Moon.
- Back on earth, there’s always one of the 7 Wonders of the World, right at your “feet:” hop on over to The Great Wall of China.
- Steal a peek inside the Guggenheim and explore art from the Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary eras.
- Take a look inside the Musee d’Orsay on the Seine. Find yourself inside the Gare d’Orsay, a Beaux-Arts railway station in which you can spot some sculptures and paintings.
- Blast off with 6 astro-physicists on an exoplanet tour.
- Get up close and personal with some of Van Gogh’s most famous portraits using the Van Gogh Museum’s Google Maps feature.
Poke around a little and you’ll see there’s still so many parts of the world (and beyond) just waiting to be discovered, via your screen. Take the trip! Just… don’t leave your house. Bonus points for creativity to make the experience all the more authentic.
When you’re ready to book physical travel again, remember that we’ve got over 150,000 bookable hotels on our platform.